Back to the good ole days ...
A few years ago Lindsay from Kerang came into 3SH/Mixx FM with scratchy old audio, from the commercials played at the local Kerang Drive-In back in the day, & also the note below. Enjoy a blast from the past for those that can remember ...
Between 1966 and 1970 I was a Slide Boy at the Kerang Drive-in.
The local commercials were on a record thrown at me by the projectionist, & played at intervals with the still image slides. Each slide was changed at the end of the individual advertisement soundtrack.
Taken from a 10 inch 33 1/3 record that was very scratched and damaged, most likely cut on a lathe from tapes. The second (flip) side was the same as the first and equally damaged.
The advertisements of many local businesses of the period, date back after decimal currency (Feb 1966), but pre- the Automatic Telephone Exchange in Kerang (around 1967/1968).
The local businesses advertised were:
- Highway 16 Restaurant (later became the first motel in Kerang)
- Matthew's Salon (ladies hairdressing)
- Les Collins TV (TV repairs and service)
- GW Coad & Sons (GMH car dealer)
- Karina Fashions (ladies clothing)
- Yvonnes Salon (ladies hairdressing)
- Clare Boutique (ladies clothing)
- EB Mawson & Sons (Readimix concrete)
- Ron Sambrooks (sewing machine and appliance sales and service)
- Scriven's Consolidated Industries (small motors and Suzuki & Honda motorcycles)
- Col Prior Caltex (service station)
- Northern Auto Electrics
Kerang Drive-In information below courtesy of Drive-Ins Downunder